Madeleine

That is what the project lead decided on for a name. It is settled. I am sure it will end being spelled "madelyn" (because that will fit on a vanity plate) but the issue is now closed. I did not realize this name originated with Mary Magdalene. It makes sense if you think about it. The severity of some of the crud on this car is absolutely biblical in proportion.


I got myself a respirator - I decided I would rather have the car fall on me than die from some unspeakable breathing problem. I did buy it from Harbor Freight - so I am tempering my expectations to just slowing the issues rather than actually preventing them. It was really quite comfortable for a $15 face hugger. You may use that photo to scare the mice out of your garage if you like.

I went after parts cleaning again today - starting with one of the cylinder heads. 


I used the scrapers my dad bought me. It took me 30 minutes to chisel grease and gasket material off of all 6 sides. It was 1/8" (3mm) thick in some places. The scrapers were nice in that they come in lots of widths and have a long handle which makes them easier to get where I need them. I gave the head a little spray lubricant and a good scrub with a green scotch pad too. I wiped it down with a disgusting rag I found and switched to the drill + wire wheel. I found a bunch of casting marks which probably have a purpose and meaning, but I don't know what they tell me yet. I mostly got the mating surfaces shiny and clean. I am getting better with that wire wheel tool. I managed not to brush myself today which is nice.


I thought about doing the other head but decided to try a different shape: exhaust manifold.


They are covered with carbon and rust and general patina of cooked on grease. I did not scrape these, but I did try every wire wheel option I had. I also figured out how to hold it with my foot so I could use two hands on the drill. They need a bath in a "hot tank" and a coat of engine paint but they look MUCH better than they did. You can see I have not bothered to take that stump of exhaust pipe off yet.


I was going to quit there, but the radiator expansion tank was lying right next to me and looked so inviting.

In working this thing I learned something I thought was really cool -- it is made of copper. The reason this car does not have a radiator is because people stole it for the copper core. I guess they could not have guessed that under all that crap this was made of copper too.

The housing for the thermostat at the bottom of that 90 degree tube is cast iron and the bracket for the tank is steel, but the rest of it is copper.


I am not sure if you are supposed to paint this - or just wait for it to be covered with crud again - but it looks neat today.

When I took a shower later I discovered that using your foot to hold the parts results in your shin and calf being speckled with grease. From the knee down it looked a bit like that cardboard the parts are resting on in the pictures. I am going to have to start taking a green scotch pad with me when I bathe.

Comments

  1. err, are you going to rebuild that clean engine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - as soon as I can managed to the get transmission to let go of the cross member & get the cross member to let go of the frame. I do not have a problem at the bell housing, but I am stuck at the transmission mount. Either time or money will resolve it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No valve for you today

Not really a hateful 8 ...

Cleaing day