Engine Hoist supplemental


I took some measurements and designed a "Dancing Chic Productions" custom knob for the valve on the engine hoist. The first draft took about 15 minutes to design in TinkerCad and an hour to print. It was a little tight and because I built it just to size. It broke in half as I tried to remove it.

I expanded the center hole by 0.1mm which seemed to be the only dimension that needed fixing. I reprinted with 4 perimeter shells and 40% fill density which is a combination that makes for good strength with a reasonable amount of material cost. I used PLA - PET, ABS or Nylon would be 'tougher', but I have very good results with PLA and it is so easy to print. Plus it was what was in the printer when I went to run it.

Since it broke on the shank the first time, I reenforced the part where it actually torques the screw by making it oval instead of round. Just putting more material structure to back the turning force. The finished product took about 2 hours to print and used about 65g of material. It fits very securely and provides a much better control.

I thought about printing a jack handle too - I certainly could make one out of 3 or 4 pieces that would screw together and them JBWeld them into a solid piece - but it is hard to beat that breaker bar (or a broom handle).

Comments

  1. Very clever. You have good imagination to see solutions and then skill to create them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No valve for you today

Not really a hateful 8 ...

Dodging the Mercury