Really I am just starter-ing

Not that long ago I thought I was going to have motor runnning in 2 weeks. That of course was contingent on being able to turn the motor with a wrench on the crank-bolt. That did not happen (not even a wiggle). So I am just working my way through taking the engine down and out.

So today turned into remove the starter day. The car came with a both an "extra" starter and an "extra" generator. Considering the service manual describes in very clear detail how to rebuild both these things, and the cost of a core charge for either, I am surprised to have spares.

Gosh this thing is oily. And the gear is carbon-y. I bet the clutch plate is smoked, but I hope the flywheel is solid.



I also wanted to look at the front of the flywheel and the ring gear. More oil and more carbon but I was really glad I didn't find a dead mouse or more housing material.


So, then I crawled under to try and prep everything to pull the transmission. I was not going to pull the transmission without a spotter - I hate to drive myself to the hospital with a broken hand - but I could remove all the various connections so it could be disconnected and moved soon. That worked fine, until I remembered that I have a '62. The '62 got an interlock - a lever that requires the clutch pedal to be fully engaged to shift to either first or reverse. I had memorized the 1961 transmission removal steps, but didn't have my act together for this part. I probably could have figured it out, but my finger is still aching from my last ad lib, so I thought I would go back and read some more. Once this defeated me, I gave a half try at the speedo cable. One bolt, but them I could not get that silly thing to come out. I am pretty sure the directions are 'and then pull it out', but I will go check my books.


So, a little sweaty and oily, I turned my attention to vacuuming the back seat and trunk again. Gag. Rust + Mouse poo + dry rotted carpet. It is much cleaner than it was. I did come across this weird cap thing. I have no idea what that pressed onto.



Comments

  1. That weird cap thing looks like a plug for a drain in a (trunk or passenger foot well) floor. Or a very small derby hat. And, by the way, the two week fantasy was not very likely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No valve for you today

Not really a hateful 8 ...

Madeleine