Cleaing day

 It was more like neatening than cleaning. Like what your kids do when they say they "cleaned their room" - stuff is no longer strewn around, but it is not really clean. The filth has just been hidden from view.

When I started I pulled the drop cloth from under the car and found the penetrating oil I had sprayed into the cylinder heads. I believe when I loosened the head bolts it came out onto the floor. For those that wonder what kind of coverage 8oz of fine oil gives across a concrete floor - about 14 square feet. I need a better drop cloth than a used moving bag for a queen matress.

I gave it a good dose of Zep, filled the mop bucket, and did my best to clean it up.

While the floor dried, I pulled the last eletrical connection fron the block. There is hardly anything to this wiring harness. I will pull the starter solenoid too but I don't need to yank it to pull the engine and it is still tied to the spam-can sized voltage regulator on the front clip. I will get to it later.


I got the creeper and rolled under the back of the car to see if I could get the gas tank ready to be removed. I had 3 things to do and managed to complete 2 of them.

I cut the tube for the breather

And I cut the tube to the pump

I tried to disconnect the wire/sender to the fuel guage, but it was unwilling to budge. It would not come apart at what appeared to be a 'connector', but could just be a butt-splice


And there was NO WAY that nasty connection to the fuel tank sender was coming out without removing the sender. I don't really want to do that while the tank is still hanging in there. I am betting that wire feels the wrath of nippers soon enough.

Who wants to bet I can remove these hanger bolts with a wrench? Whose money is on cut-off wheel?

Comments

  1. It seems to me you are enjoying the autopsy. The challenge in house remodeling is to make something from the dead parts. It seems like several old science fiction authors wrote to this, and most of their protagonists did not end well. Can you find a new fuel tank? I forsee a sandblaster in your future for some of these adventures. Or, perhaps you job it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the "radiator guys" will rehab a fuel tank for me. I can buy a new replacement - I am not sure about the straps and hanger hardware. I was going to start with the idea of of refurbishing it myself, but for a 20 gallon tank that is about a $100 prospect - so it depends on what the radiator guys want for the job.

      Delete
  2. Depending on whether you can smell gas in the tank - if not - I'd say your fastest bet for removing those bolts is a cut-off torch! But, that may not be in your tool box...yet! Otherwise, a MAPP or propane torch & some elbow grease should get them off without permanent damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave them a good squirt of oil, and a twist with a wrech. That just stressed the rusty bumper bracket they were hanging from. So, I crawled back out and looked on the internet to make sure I could buy stainless replacements.

      CHECK

      Then I rolled back under there with a hacksaw. They each yielded after about 10 minutes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No valve for you today

Not really a hateful 8 ...

Dodging the Mercury