Brake Master Cylinder

Or should I break the master cylinder?! The directions say [a) pull the boot back from the push rod under the dash, b) remove the brake line, and c) remove the 2 nuts holding the master cylinder to the firewall]. Simple enough.

I managed to complete step_a. For part_b, that brake line is going no where without a hack saw. I can turn the coupling, but the line is rusted to it so it just twists as the nut goes around. I will saw it off.

As for step_c and the nuts holding the cylinder to the firewall - they were hard to turn, then they squeaked, then they got easier. But not. They just went around. So I crawled back under the dash and see that the square head bolts are meant to be held by some bracket that holds the dash in place. And that was no longer holding them. I need my E to come home and either turn the wrench or hold a pair of vice grips on them. Probably will give her the wrench (I hate to make her lie in the bio hazard interior). I am guessing they are rusted solid and that I really just need to cut them off. I gave them all the penetrating oil they could drink. I will hose them with the torch first to see if that loosens things before I put the saw to work.


you can almost see the square bolt in that photo below - you can see the boot to the left of that.


I managed to get the brake pedal to depress. It didn't come back up, so I think the system is dry but I need to go back with a flashlight and see if Ricardo / Jake wee'd brake fluid somewhere. The wheels all turn and I intend to replace the entire system - so I don't really care.

While I was under there I found a flannel blanket? piece of a shirt? evidence in an unsolved mystery? I don't know what. It surprised me - and my first reaction was to pull it out so I could throw it away. That didn't work. It won't budge. I tugged for about 2.7 seconds before I came to two conclusions: 1) if that lets go while I am under here I am getting a face full of whatever is contained within and around it 2) it may be holding the whole heater duct system in place and I don't want to rip that out. I will deal with it later - maybe use it as a bandana to keep the rust out of my ears.


I did have two pieces of good fortune in the last 24 hours.

A generous friend dropped by last night and loaned me a very nice creeper. I didn't think I needed one - but after rolling on the concrete a few times I really appreciate that I won't have to keep doing that. Thanks Dave.

Additionally, after I talked to my mom today she talked to my dad and he decided to send me some tools I don't have. Namely a tube bender and a stamp set for when I get to the crank / cam / pistons. I don't think I realized what a mechanic / engineer / technician / tinkerer my dad was until I started this project. A lot of my childhood memories line up differently now. It was a joy to discover.

Comments

  1. I think I like Jake for its/his name. 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was determined to be "Madelyn" (as per the project lead E)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No valve for you today

Not really a hateful 8 ...

Cleaing day