Ask a silly question & the heads come off

It stated with the question - then some guys yelled my head off - then I took my own heads off.

The question started when my friend Dave dropped off a pair of fan-shaped LED lamps that screw into my garage bulb sockets. It was an act of generosity - and it makes the work space so much better. But as I was talking to him, we talked about how I could use some more height under the car for rust remediation.

I dedcided to ask the internet foum what they thought of using concrete blocks as booster chairs for the jack stands. In my mind I was thinking about dobie-block or deck blocks like you would use for house foundation - not cement bricks (i.e. cinderblocks). I would use something to then cement the stand to the block so I didn't slip off. I think I use both terms interchangeably, and I didn't explain my design nor couch my question with an apology for being born. So that was my fault. I did #doesnotwanttobecrushedbyhishubris -- but this is not a place of mirth.

A mob of angry people yelled at my for spending one calorie thinking about cinderblocks. It just kept going on and on. The thread is full of stories of that guy they know who got crushed under it. Plenty of ranting about how I should just get a hydraulic lift or taller jack stands or end my project if I was too cheap and lazy.

One guy sent me a link to what I really need: Jalopy Journal: Cribbing Boxes I can make these - no problem


Of course I need to put air in the tires and get them to hold - so I bought a can of slime to do a fix on the garbage rubber that is still on the rims.

Later, I talked E into coming out and helping me remove the heads. That was cool

So with her help, the heads are off and sitting on the floor. As I pulled them, I found another half gallon of collant/water in the top of the water jacket. With the radiator gone, I was expecting bone dry. Nope. Apprently there is a plug or petcock at the bottom on either side I could have used to drain them ... and I probably still will ... my guess is there is at least another quart in the bottom of this thing.

Anyway - here are my heads and piston tops - 1~4 before I sucked up all the coolant & loose carbon:



and 5~8 before shop vacuuming



I vaccumed them off and sucked up all that nasty water and a bunch of loose blecgh. I shot them with some oil and I will give them a go with a green scrubby before I beat them with a stick. Believe it or not, they look OK. Here is 5~7 after being vacuumed:


I discovered that the pistons have 2 notches in them that I was not expecting. My friend Doug told me that is to accommodate pin offset and prevent piston slap. At first I thought it was damaged - but they ALL have them and they are all oriented the same direction in the engine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No valve for you today

Not really a hateful 8 ...

Cleaing day